Thursday, May 12, 2011

Ten things I have learned so far

1. Sleep is imperative: After an amazing 10 hours of rest, I am now refreshed and actually can formulate sentences when people talk to me

2. Tanzanian’s love their friend chicken and fries. The more oil the better. As, I walk around Dar, all I smell the fried cassava, barbecued chicken, fried everything- including fries dipped in eggs. So, my theory of only the southerner’s loving their chicken goes out the window

3. Only the locals walk on the streets here. Seeing a muzengu (Tarek- well he’s Egyptian but they cant figure that one out) and I, we get some funny looks.

4.The best Indian restaurants are in Dar! You can walk into Patel Samaj , Maratha House ( i love the name! Its the Patel society!!!) and get the best samosas, dal, rice, chole, paneer- anything your heart desires and its all fresh and tastes like home

5. The city is still bustling with elements of colonialism. Some of the buildings remind you of a forgotten era of the British colonial past. The gymkhanas (the cricket grounds with the restaurants and membership) still exist. Instead, the British have been replaced by the Indians and have made the city their own

6. Tanzanian’s are the kindest people around. Oh, I am in love with this city and this country. I’m in love period. Everyone is warm, without being over the top intrusive about your life; people are friendly and will invite you into their homes in a heartbeat, without thinking twice.

7.May is winter in Tanzania and that means rain and tons of it! It really is a welcome relief from the heat. It pours for 15 minutes and then the sun creeps out and you are back in 30 degree heat with 90% humidity

8.Food is relatively cheap, but anything imported has an equivalent price of back home.

9.What goes in, must come out- you can figure that one out on your own.

10. Carry insect repellent during the night, especially after a rainfall- the toads and the mosquitoes are out in full force and expect to be eaten alive. My poor feet will never be the same.

Btw, the favourite term here is "They are all just so crazy! He's crazy man or she's so crazy". I think I might be saying that a lot when i return.

No comments:

Post a Comment