Sunday, May 1, 2011

Fiascos a la carte

I couldn't think of a better title for this posting. I am sure everyone can relate to this one. Checking into airports is probably the most trying experience. From the long line ups, to kids crying - all in part of the travel package. Me being Miss Smarty Pants, decided to check my luggage all the way to Dar es Salaam from Vancouver and just travel light. I thought it would expedite the check-in process. Just as I was about to reach for my "that was easy" button while checking in with Qatar Airways, the bubble burst.

Miss "Insert Last Name I can't pronounce". I am sorry ma'am, we do not transfer Cathay luggage to Qatar Airways. We dont have that relationship with them. This was even after I had triple checked that they would pass on the baggage. Where was my baggage?? Oh, in storage at Cathay still waiting to be picked up by QA.

Boarding the plane: me being anal checked with the attendant again- where are my bags? Oh Ms.Nallapoloooza (i know) we dont know where your bags are. Kindly wait for all other passengers to board and then we can see if it is on. 10 min later, we have no bags. Last second before boarding- we have located your bags and they are on the plane. I can't wait to see if they actually made it to Dar.

Misplacing baggage on a journey, doesn't bother me as much. The real issue occurs, when you land and the person who was supposed to pick you up at the airport doesn't show up. Call the hotel, oh ms, we are fully booked we gave away your room. We will send you to another location and oh take a taxi there and we will sort it out.

I end up walking into the hotel designated as the place that I would be transferred to, apparently single women traveling alone CANNOT get a room at the hotel in Doha!. 10 minutes later I am at my third hotel, thoroughly exhausted, waiting to check in and get some rest.

The sad part is I haven't even had a chance to see the city yet or appreciate it. Tomorrow is another day and i am sure i will be able to capture it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment