Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Perfect Saturday in New York

I am so proud of myself. I managed to get from JFK on A train and connect to L train to Union Square without any problems!!! I almost feel like a New Yorker. Almost, being the key word. My destination: Union Square

If there is a smell that a smell that I associate with this city- Honey Roasted Chestnuts. The smell is all over Manhattan, mostly around tourist hot spots like Times Square but even as I exited Union Square to enjoy a cup of tea at whole foods (So typical of me) I smelt roasted nuts!

Why Union Square- Saturday or most weekends at Union Square brings out to the most eclectic group of people and an out door farmers market with a variety of fresh goods such as veggies, meat, to the most beautiful array of flowers and plants; and wine and cheese!!! I might be lactose intolerant but i sure can appreciate the smell of blue cheese.
















This time around, I am in no rush to do the touristy thing. Run around see all the sites. I have already done that but this Saturday, I wanted it to be about food,photography, friends and laughter and that's exactly what I did.
I walked in a daze trying to capture the phenomenal architecture that defines this city.













Walking the city on foot has its charms. You never know who you might run into or better yet end up at a Vaisakhi parade in the midst of the city! Amazing! Having missed the parade to celebrate the beginning of the harvest season and the Guru's b-day, I had a second chance to taste some tasty treats and enjoy punjabi music at its best!





But if you were to ask me, what was the highlight of my short day trip into the city, spending it with close friends like Debra. Debra, I hope you don't kill me for this one. Meet Debra- smart, sophisticated girlfriend of mine from Vancouver, until recently who I believed was Philipino. In reality, this foxy Indonesian is completing her Master's in Journalism with whom I seem to connect over our love for travel, BCBG, Sangria (ahem ahem) and of course silver foxes such as Bill Clinton.




Meet Debra! Future CNN Anchor!


For us, this was the opportunity to catch up, walk the city and just talk. Somehow, we managed to find a sangria place with an amazing courtyard where we could sit, talk and eat and drink to our content. Hmm Tapas! Like all good friends, we chatted, gossiped, discussed life, love and most important of all food and TRAVEL. So, here's to a possible trip to Greece and Turkey :)

As i boarded the train back to JFK, the excitment hits me! I am on my way. I am really doing this. My gut tells me, that the adventure will begin as soon as I depart JFK. Doha, here I come.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting my darling!! Enjoy your adventure and looking forward to following you along on this journey!

    ReplyDelete